Posted to uk.d-i-y
Slomo Slomo is offline

Default Gas Meter Safety Check

On 08/06/16 12:16, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 12:05:59 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Thing is all will be smart by 2020 in any case from what I've been
reading

That's an aspiration, rather than a given.

Also IIRC there's no compatibility between various generations of smart
meters, leading to a bunfight over who should pay for the meter
installation.

Frankly I think its an idea whose time will never come.

Bet it does.

Lie windmills and solar panels, its fosted on us in the name of progress,
but the actual issue is that its too bloody expensive and doesn't actually
work

No reason why it cant work with smartmeters and it
should pay for itself quite quickly in situations where
the supply system has humans reading the meters.

Possibly bluetooth meters than can be read from outside,

That makes no sense because it still needs a human to do that.
Makes a lot more sense to use the mobile phone system instead.

or that send data back to vulture central via te internet yes,

Makes a lot more sense to use the mobile phone system.

but controls via te internet?

Not worth it,.

Not worth it by itself, but once you have the smartmeter
to make it cheap to read the meters automatically, you
might as well allow the supply to be turned off and on
remotely for very little extra cost in the meter so you
dont have the cost of monkeys in cars doing that.