Posted to sci.electronics.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,alt.windows7.general

Default Router sulks, then works.

On 6/7/2016 5:17 PM, Micky wrote:
On one of these groups, I posted about 6 months ago about the adapter
for my router failing after a power outage. Apparently it's not a
power surge but just normal unplugging and replugging that is bad for
many things (especially maybe if they can cool off in between). I
used a universal adapter for a while and bought the exact replacement
adapter, with the D-Link label, on Ebay. Everything fine.

Last night we had another power failure and today, after futile
attempts to get my mail, I see that none of the lights on the router
are on. I hadn't even gotten around to taking the universal adapter
back to it's drawer in the basement!

So I switched to that and it didnt' work, but after I unplugged and
plugged it in 3 times, ALL the lights on the router went on and stayed
on. I ended up unplugging it from the adapter at least 10 times
before it finally started working. And now it's been fine for hours.

By any chance, are you on Southern California Edison (SCE)?

Despite being plugged into a surge suppressor, a SCE outage late last
year fried my router, possibly when power was restored. I had to go out
and buy a new one. SCE denied any responsibility and refused to
reimburse the cost of the router. All they did was apologize for the
inconvenience. Last Saturday, we had another SCE outage. I rushed to
unplug my router before the electricity came back on. This time, my
router survived.

SCE has outages sufficiently often, that I refuse to surrender my
land-line phone service. AT&T powers the phones independently of SCE,
which means I can call SCE when there is an outage. Such calls are
impossible during an outage with VoIP phone service, and even some cell
towers die when SCE dies.

SCE repeatedly tells me that I can report outages through their Web
site. It does not tell me how to reach their Web site when my PC, my
router, my modem, and the Internet cable service all fail to work
without electricity.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Donald Trump claims he is a successful businessman.
If so, how does he explain the number of his
enterprises that have gone bankrupt?