Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Router sulks, then works.

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 8:17:12 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
On one of these groups, I posted about 6 months ago about the adapter
for my router failing after a power outage. Apparently it's not a
power surge but just normal unplugging and replugging that is bad for
many things (especially maybe if they can cool off in between). I
used a universal adapter for a while and bought the exact replacement
adapter, with the D-Link label, on Ebay. Everything fine.

Last night we had another power failure and today, after futile
attempts to get my mail, I see that none of the lights on the router
are on. I hadn't even gotten around to taking the universal adapter
back to it's drawer in the basement!

So I switched to that and it didnt' work, but after I unplugged and
plugged it in 3 times, ALL the lights on the router went on and stayed
on. I ended up unplugging it from the adapter at least 10 times
before it finally started working. And now it's been fine for hours.

A cold reboot requires that all the capacitors (ALL of them) are fully drained within the unit. This can take sometimes a few seconds, sometimes hours.. And why it is when doing a cold reboot one holds down the start button for 30 seconds prior to actually connecting power. This helps discharge those capacitors.

Next time, before connecting the wall wart, try holding down the start button for 30 - 90 seconds.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA