Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default Securing a charity collection box (safeish neighbourhood)

Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 14:56:16 UTC+1, David wrote:

Part of my ongoing clear out plan includes putting items out the front by
the pavement and asking for contributions to a charity. I have a plastic
collecting tin with a "wasp waist" 2/3 down.

To make an attempt to secure it (recognising that someone with a decent
knife could just cut the bottom off) I thought I would fix some angle iron
to the front wall, then fasten the box to the angle iron. The angle iron
could also support a poster explaining what is going on.

I do have a length of chain and a padlock but this is fairly hefty and
over the top.

Anyone have an idea for an unobtrusive fixing which is secure but easily
released - some kind of chain or band to go around the narrow bit of the
plastic box?

Kerbside fruit & veg sellers usually ask for money to be put through the letterbox.

I'm not sure I'd use one of those plastic cans, very easy to cut it open. A crude wooden box would do better.

Round here folks seem to use some sort of tin or cashbox on their
stalls. But I guess it depends on the area.

Chap up the road used to just have a pot with the money in (not
exactly roadside, you had to go into his orchard) but he has
upgrade to a cashbox (screwed down I think) as money was either
going missing or people were just not paying .

Chris French