Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default What's wrong with computer speaker?

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 20:10:00 -0400, Micky
wrote:

Combo answer to you and Ralph

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 15:23:32 -0700 (PDT), Jeroni Paul
wrote:

Correct, the sound goes through the capacitor. It seems the amplifier sends a DC voltage to light up the led together with the audio signal. So if the led shines the wire is fine and the sound may be lost.in the capacitor.

Great. I'll replace it. Easy enough.

16volts 1000uF, I suppose the bag of caps in the basement for the last
30 years are too old to use???? If so I'll buy a new one.

Somewhat interesting stories here, including one guy who had never
soldered anything, but replaced 2 caps and made his tv work. He had
to buy a soldering iron. He watched videos first.

http://www.amazon.com/1000uf-Capacit...0&pageNumber=1