Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default What's wrong with computer speaker?

Is this problem too easy for you guys? I know I'm not up to the
level of most of you, but I'd appreciate some help?

I have a pair of computer speakers and the left? one, the one not
directly connected to the computer, makes no sound.

The wire must be good because its LED goes on. I finally got it apart
(it was glued together) and it has very few parts. The speaker
measures 4 ohms and all that leaves is the wires, the tiny pcb, the
LED and one 1000uF 16v cap. It seems that all the sound goes through
that, is that right? So it could be the problem that it's open.

How come a cap is needed? To protect the sound card? 4 ohms is not
enough to protect it? Speakers can short?

I replaced the good speaker with old NIB Jensens at least as big, but
I think the sound is worse with stereo speakers than it was with one
speaker. Maybe I'm imagining it, but if I fix the 2nd speaker I can
find out if I am or not. The old ones are Harmon Kardon and the
speaker is only 2 or 2 1/4" but the magnet is really heavy.

Thanks