Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freehold

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
We bought the freehold of the first house we owned, if I recall it was
10x the ground rent which was £15 per annum at the time. Even with
owning the freehold you may find restrictions in the form of covenants
that limit the number of "farts" you are allowed. Our bungalow is
freehold but the previous owner had to stump up a £400 "administration
fee" to the original developer to add a conservatory due to the
developer selling the property with restrictive covenants that gave him
a say on what could or could not be built. Whilst these things are
useful at the time of development and prevent householders constructing
horrendous structures affecting the value of the properties, 40 years on
its just a "nice little earner" and of course is something that can be
passed on to descendants who probably do not know what it is all about
but brings in a little income for basically doing nothing.

Mine - inner London - forbids me from keeping pigs. Or carrying out trade
as a tinker or organ grinder. Keeping chickens and running a brothel is
apparently OK. ;-)

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.