Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freehold

On 06/06/16 10:13, DJC wrote:
On 06/06/16 09:40, Tricky Dicky wrote:
We bought the freehold of the first house we owned, if I recall it was
10x the ground rent which was £15 per annum at the time. Even with
owning the freehold you may find restrictions in the form of covenants
that limit the number of "farts" you are allowed. Our bungalow is
freehold but the previous owner had to stump up a £400 "administration
fee" to the original developer to add a conservatory due to the
developer selling the property with restrictive covenants that gave
him a say on what could or could not be built. Whilst these things are
useful at the time of development and prevent householders
constructing horrendous structures affecting the value of the
properties, 40 years on its just a "nice little earner" and of course
is something that can be passed on to descendants who probably do not
know what it is all about but brings in a little income for basically
doing nothing.

In cases like that you ignore the covenants and whait for someone to
challenge it.

+1 - and take out indemnity insurance which is a one off tiny fee to
make it bullet proof.