Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT - Car Specifications

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 09:31:09 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim k wrote:

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Tim+ a écrit :
Not everyone lives in flatland. I've just driven on a ****load of roads
that no torquey diesel could hope to ascend in top gear. Autos work better
with cruise control than manuals, period.

I don't live in a flatland. Next week I will be towing a large caravan
through the worst of the Welsh mountains, which I have done several
times before - I fully expect to have cruise engaged for much of the
drive.

And a fecking massive tailback behind...

Book a hotel ffs :-)

;-)

Even when towing a trailer behind my 1000cc motorbike (the combo
tested above 100 mph (on a test track of course)) I am limited to the
'reduced' speeds on many roads but unlike many car / caravan
combinations:

Can go up any hill at a realistic speed.
Can go round most corners at a realistic speed.
Can still filter though traffic (the trailer is narrower than the
touring cases) so don't take up any space in a traffic jam.
*Will* pull over as soon as realise I am impeding someone else and
allow them past (and can do so easier than a car / caravan because I'm
not as wide).
I can be seen past by anyone following so not as frustrating as
following a caravan (or any other large / speed restricted / slow
vehicle of course).

We loved some of the roads in Scotland as they have what looks like a
hard shoulder where part of the (single) carriageway is marked off
with a solid white line (like a cycle lane or narrow hard shoulder or
bus lane). Drivers are encouraged to pull into these lane when being
overtaken by faster vehicles and in generally everyone uses them.

Cheers, T i m