Ian

Default Hard drive problem/crash

"Steve(JazzHunter)" wrote in message . ..
On 20 Jan 2004 00:16:27 -0800, (Ian) wrote:

I have a Compaq 5447. I fire it up and get the Compaq logo. Then
four lines about the monitor card. Then I sit watching the flashing
cursor in the corner.

I've tried the system backup disk I made six months ago; but nothing
was on the disk; (right, my fault, I didn't check the disk after
making the system backup).

Also, I put the all-gone-revert-back-to-day-one CD in the drive. Even
though the light comes on in the cd drive (as well as a:/) it's not
reading the CD itself.

Is there a command file I can download that'll kick the drive beyond
the flashing cursor?

If the drive truely all-gone, wouldn't the Compaq logo NOT come up?

The Compaq logo is in system Bios, not the HD boot sequence. Make a
bootup floppy disc on another computer running Win95/98, or XP, boot
the laptop with that then see if you can read C: drive and that the
windows installation looks ok. If you can't see C: drive at all then
the bios has to be set.

. Steve ..

Steve.
Thanks for your input. I went through the BIOS and reverted to the
early settings; I'm back in the lop again.
I very much appreciate your help.
Ian

Appreciate anyone's help.

Ian