Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Car Specifications

Roger Mills a écrit :
On 05/06/2016 13:58, Tim+ wrote:
Harry wrote:
Mike Barnes a écrit :
I can set the car to 'beep' when a certain speed is reached, and that
suits
me better. Conveniently it's not loud enough to wake SWMBO.

Mine has one of those, but other than testing to prove it works, I
don't use it. I rely upon cruise to hold my speed and being a manual,
it hold the set speed fairly well.

You mean "being a manual it holds the set speed less well than an auto".

Why should that be? I've only ever driven one auto with cruise control - and
that was a hire car in Australia. That behaved in a very peculiar and erratic
way. If you started to go up a hill, it would open the throttle to try to
maintain speed - often resulting in kicking down to the next gear, whereupon
it would accelerate rapidly - exceeding the set speed - and then promptly
shut the throttle and change up again - only for the same gear hunting
process to keep repeating.

At least with a manual, *you* choose the gear and the cruise control only has
one parameter to control. Obviously, if it can't maintain the chosen speed in
the current gear even by using full throttle, you'll need to give it a bit of
help - but that's preferable to having an auto thrashing the gears willy
nilly!

+1 - that is exactly what I found with an auto. I use cruise much more
now with a manual because all that varies is the throttle/ power.