Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Car Specifications

On 05/06/2016 13:58, Tim+ wrote:
Harry wrote:
Mike Barnes a écrit :
I can set the car to 'beep' when a certain speed is reached, and that suits
me better. Conveniently it's not loud enough to wake SWMBO.

Mine has one of those, but other than testing to prove it works, I
don't use it. I rely upon cruise to hold my speed and being a manual,
it hold the set speed fairly well.

You mean "being a manual it holds the set speed less well than an auto".

Why should that be? I've only ever driven one auto with cruise control -
and that was a hire car in Australia. That behaved in a very peculiar
and erratic way. If you started to go up a hill, it would open the
throttle to try to maintain speed - often resulting in kicking down to
the next gear, whereupon it would accelerate rapidly - exceeding the set
speed - and then promptly shut the throttle and change up again - only
for the same gear hunting process to keep repeating.

At least with a manual, *you* choose the gear and the cruise control
only has one parameter to control. Obviously, if it can't maintain the
chosen speed in the current gear even by using full throttle, you'll
need to give it a bit of help - but that's preferable to having an auto
thrashing the gears willy nilly!
--
Cheers,
Roger