Posted to sci.electronics.repair
curls[_2_] curls[_2_] is offline

Default Car CD player - anything I can clean besides the lens?

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 11:19:23 AM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Hope your power is on and staying steady that way!

Can you see in the photos, where the glass mirror would be?

I have no idea. The photos are too small and cover too large an area.
Look for something like this:
http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Cm2ZKXXXXXXWXFXXq6xXFXXXJ/Original-Replace-For-font-b-Pioneer-b-font-DEH-P7400MP-font-b-CD-b-font-font.jpg
The mirrors are behind the lens.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/audio/cdplay.html

The box with the lens looks very much like that first link of an optical pickup. It moves up and down a spirally thing. I cleaned the circular glass button in the middle which I assume is the lens, including the edges. I couldn't get access from above and had to reach from the side from an opening in the casing.

However, that box has a screw on the other side when I turn the player over.. (It's one of the photos of bottom.) So I'm guessing the mirror glass is in there. Where exactly is the mirror in that link? In the second link, nothing is marked mirror. There are two flat squares that look like they'd be it.

My worry is that there are adjustments, and they'll be messed up just by opening the box. Seems like it should be openable without damage, but I'd want to know it's usually not a problem to open the box.

It's 2012 Mazda 3 iGT Hatch.

My point is that the drive is NOT easily replaced. No clue on parts
but unless the CD drive mechanism can be identified, finding
replacement parts is going to be difficult.

Yes, replacement parts would be hard to find unless a company lists them by car model. I did find a number of Mazda 3 radios on ebay. It's always risky that they didn't test them well, or who knows what. Some were cheap but the better feedback ones were over $100, and often $160 or so. Some cheap ones seemed to be because the faceplate was scratched which of course isn't a problem for me. So if I get too frustrated... that's my backup plan.

Read the repair faq section on "CD players in vehicles".

I had before posting here. Did I miss a section or anything in particular?

I know this car was a smoker's before me for 4 years.

Bingo. 90% rubbing alcohol works well to remove the tar.

Okay!

So if most of the time problems have been smoke on the lens, do you
mean actual smokers? It'd been hopeful for me, if that's the case.

Yes, but there are plenty of other sources of oil, grease, tar, soot,
and such. Just look at the windows. Do they remain perfectly clear
when you're driving? Of course not. Well, some of that also gets
into the CD player and makes the optics looks much like your
windshield.

Good point about the windows getting dirty on their own.

Taking a photo sounds like a good idea. It'd be very hard to
take a photo since it has to be in the box, where the beam isn't
directly visible. Maybe the more cleaning that I've done
will do the trick.

I don't take a photo. All I do is check if there's anything coming
out of the laser or if it looks wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df70YVAg-iI
Fast forward to 2:10 for what it looks like. Not all digital cameras
can see 780nm light. (DVD are 650nm and BluRay are 405nm).

There are also photo diodes on a stick that can be used to measure the
laser output. For some odd reason, I can't find the magic buzzwords
and URL. Anyone?

Good to know. It'd be impossible in this case to see. But for that non-car one I want to fix.

Oh crap. Power outage... save, post, and run...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D