Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bnwelch@gmail.com is offline

Default Spanish Cedar

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 1:48:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 12:45:50 PM UTC-4, Jack wrote:
On 6/3/2016 8:31 AM, wrote:

My experience with bending 1/8" strips is they generally bend easily, as
long as the bend is not severe, and the wood is fairly straight grained
and clear of knots. Severe bends I'd go for steam. Really severe and
I'd go with air dried, and steam.

I needed to create a near 180 degree bend. All I can tell you is that it worked for me...

That's a good bend. Was the wood green, air-dried or kiln dried? I'd
think if you could get a 180 degree bend without heat, then red cedar
bends well, and the OP can forge ahead.

--
Jack
An ounce of application is worth a ton of abstraction.

No idea, just a piece of 2 x 6 cedar from the big box store lying around in my garage...I was trying to build a homemade cartop sculling boat carrier out of wood instead of the usual aluminum or SST bent plate. Radius is roughly 7"--8", so pretty tight. I tried forming dry, and heard cracking so I decided to try wet, thinking 1/8" thick strips loaded into a 4" diameter PVC pipe capped on both ends (full of water) was worth trying...

looking to create something like this:

http://www.revolutionrowing.com/rowi...-car-rack.html

from cedar for carting my 1946 wood racing single to and from the lake...just seems like the right thing to do...