Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WIN10EXIT: Don't upgrade if Samsung

On 03/06/16 12:34, dennis@home wrote:
On 03/06/2016 00:04, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/06/2016 21:39, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 01/06/2016 22:14, Weatherlawyer wrote:
Here is a daft one concerning regional discs . Windows 7 tells me I
need to reset my computer to allow it to play region 2. What on earth
is tha silliness about. No version of Linux bothers with that sort of
thinking.

the story I heard was:

Hollywood spoke to MS, and asked them nicely if they'd help out with the
regional protection scam. MS agreed.

The Linux guys response was short and Anglo-Saxon.

The protection is built into the DVD drives themselves these days (RPC2
rather than RPC1). That means you can only set the region a limited
number of times before the drive permanently locks to the region.
Obviously you can opt to let the drive fail to decrypt and do it in
software later these days (AnyDVD being one of the nicest solutions
IMHO). There are also sites that carry modified firmware for lots of the
drives to make them RPC1.

(MS have given up on DVD these days it seems - you don't even get a DVD
player program included with recent versions of windows)

That's because they have to pay royalties to include it, unlike Linux
where they just point the user to somewhere they can steal it.

No, you don't steal the DE DRM program, anymore than you steal a key to
unlock your briefcase full of books.

The theft is arguably by the media companies who demand payment to let
you view their content, when you have already bought the right to do
just that.

The legal situation of ripping a DVD is very much not clear. The legal
situation of providing the tools to do it is much clearer. Its almost
certainly not against the law of the country you download it from or
here either.

It might be against Californian law, but what isn't?

I just realised I spent 5 minutes giving a sensible answer to dennis.
Before realising that as per usual, he's got the wrong end of the stick
completely and is al twitter and bisted about his fanboi OS, Winders,
being crap, as usual.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.