Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Internet connected kitchen appliances

jim k wrote

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or oven?

With the oven it would let you start it cooking a roast etc that you
have put in there when leaving when you know what time you will
be home to eat it so it starts cooking before you get home so its
ready to eat a bit later than you you get home etc.

And potentially with complicated recipes the web site with the
recipe on it could program the oven for you and all you have
to do is put the stuff to be cooked in the oven when told to etc.

I do that manually now and would prefer to be able to program
the oven for the particular meal being cooked over the net instead
of having to manually enter the cooking details ever time I cook that
particular thing. How I do some stuff like rice in the microwave oven
is already multiphase, so it would be nice to have the database just
program the microwave for me when I indicate that I will cook that.

With a washing machine it could work out when the power
will be cheapest from the net and wash your stuff when its
cheapest when you tell it when you want the clothes by.