Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Subarrier FM radio

"Actually, 48 FPS as projected -- each frame was shown twice. "

Didn't know that. Makes sense though.

I busted "them". I believe it was a commercial for a Sharp camcorder with good low light capabilities. They were showing what was ostensibly some kids birthday party or something. Well back then I always had six or seven head VCRs. I could tell when they pulled it down from the 48 Hz to 60 Hz. They showed each from twice but every so many cycles they would show it thrice.

The video the showed was clearly on film because a camcorders does not use 24 FPS. (or 48)

Nothing happened, WTF. I didn't buy one, I didn't initiate a class action lawsuit, in fact it is almost like who cares.

Like now, I work on "pro" audio. Know what "pro" actually means here ? It means that the FTC and IHF standards do not apply. You got an amp the has 55 volt rails which yields about 100 WPC but they can call it 3,500 watts. Technical Pro is one of the worst offenders but I have seen worse. I saw one amp supposedly 1,000 watts that had a single TO-220 type chip output. There is no way this thing was even 100 WPC.

But anyway, it is not the same with a DVD, with a good four (plus two audio) head VCR going frame by frame you can see the effect. Two frames would be the same and then three frames would be the same. And I am probably the only person in the world who knows they cheated.

Technically, if their camcorder would work in as low light as that film it was not false advertising, and I really don't recall them saying the video was taken with their camcorder. But the implication was pretty strong. Come on, they are advertising a camcorder with good low light sensitivity, What does the viewer think when he sees a kids birthday party ?

Just another example of the **** they can get away with. But the bottom line is I am so close to not giving a **** I can smell it.