Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default cutting in reverse

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 5:46:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 12:20:39 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 3:35:19 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2016 19:59:15 +0100, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 12:16:07 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2016 16:47:19 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 31/05/2016 16:42, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2016 15:10:59 +0100, JAS wrote:

JAS wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 11:35:53 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 10:22:26 AM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 1:08:33 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2016 18:04:43 +0100, trader_4
wrote:

snippage

That isn't what you said, nor what I responded to. This is what you
said:

"But if it's stopped, they aren't spinning."

Which of course is wrong. You really are the village idiot.. The
guy's
mower has an interlock to prevent it from going backwards with the
blades spinning. If you try to do that, it kills the engine. He
wants
to override it. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Okay, I have read many of he posts, still confused. Why doesn't he
just push the dash button? Has something changed in mower safety
devices? I have a fairly new rider mower that has a button on thie
dash to push - keeps blades running when in reverse. Have they done
away with that?

Harry K
Vast majority of riders do not have that button in North America.
Some shut off the engine. Some shut off the blade.

My Sears Craftsman in Nebraska has the feature on the key switch. 1st
position-off 2nd position- mow in reverse 3rd position-Start. You start
the mower and then turn the key back to number 2 position and you can
mow in reverse without the motor shutting down.

JAS
Also to add to my previous post you have to set the park brake and shut
off the mower if you want to get off the rider with the engine running.

"Shut off the mower" and "with the engine running". What?!

I assume he means stopping the mower blades turning whilst leaving the
engine running.

So the seat has a pressure switch and the engine cuts out if you get off it? Bloody hell, why so many safety mechanisms? Can't we just let incapable people die off and get off our planet? It's not a bloody jumbo jet, it's not rocket science to drive a mower.

Actually, I like that safety feature. When I'm mowing along my ditch,
I know that when the engine starts to stall I'd better adjust my
trajectory (or the position of my butt on the seat) or some other factor.

Huh?

If I'm mowing a slope (laterally) and leaning so far over (to balance the
mower) that my butt leaves the seat enough for the engine to threaten to
stall, I know that I'm at too steep an angle. I then know to move my butt
back onto the seat or steer the mower to a less acute angle. It's like
an early warning system for a potential rollover accident.

The first thing when we got the mower, my husband disabled the "can't
mow in reverse" interlock. Chipmunks beware!

Have you ever seen the film "Caddy Shack"?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080487/

Oh, yeah. I know my husband was considering blasting to get rid of
woodchucks, but he quickly realized that it would require far to large
a charge.

For "ditch mowing" a big counterweight slung out low about 2 feet on
the "high" side makes things a lot safer and easier.. About 85 lbs
iirc, about 24 inches out past the rear wheel.

Years ago I had a job that involved lots of conference calls with my
counterpart in Australia. He once mentioned that he had a Flymo mower
for mowing the sharp inclines on his property.

Flymo's are hover mowers. They are walk behinds, so you wouldn't use them
for long ditches, but he said that they were much safer than riding mowers
on steep areas.

http://www.flymo.com/uk/lawn-mowers/hover/