Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Joining stringers for long stairs

On Wed, 01 Jun 2016 14:26:29 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 06/01/2016 2:02 PM, Tony Botchagaloop wrote:

Anyway I thought I said it but maybe not. I plan on cutting the
lower stringers horizontally from the 2nd from top step. Cutting out
the 4x4 more and at an angle, then sliding the entire lower section
forward to fit exactly under the top stringers and on top of its new
footer. I'll have everything braced and 2 helpers. Then comes the
plywood and bolts. I had also given the thought of short stringers
centered over the joint, but it would be that much more the balusters
would stick out. I assume the plywood will be pressure treated, hate
to think of what that will cost. Should I leave it out in the sun
for a while before installing ... or never mind I guess I could use
Gorilla glue on wet wood?

Absolutely forget the "gorilla glue"; it's terrible for the purpose
(actually, it's not _much_ good for anything, when get right down to it
other than cash cow for Gorilla Glue Co.).

It will only bond well on well-fitted fresh wood surfaces and under
clamping pressure; the vaunted "gap filling" properties of polyurethane
glues (which it is) is nonsense; it just foams and leaves a worthless
blob which has absolutely no strength whatsoever.

Use something like
http://www.liquidnails.com/products/construction-adhesive-LN940 or
similar instead.

Exterior ply isn't particularly expensive, and there's no advantage in
leaving it out first; unlike construction lumber, it's dry already
(altho you _can_ get dried PT lumber one can be sure a bunch of bozo's
like this didn't use it ).

PT ply can be pretty well saturated with water too. I've cut it with
a circular saw and had a plume of more water than sawdust.