Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Joining stringers for long stairs

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 11:34:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 2:11:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Not able to see the second picture, but is it possible to "sister"
the stringers, overlapping the joint 100% with the second stringer?
I'd do all 3, full lenth. Splice the new lumber in the middle of the 2
old peices on each stringer. Screw and glue.

There is still the problem of the middle step being a different tread
depth than the others.

As Tony said in his OP, the contractor put "not quite double depth step"
where the 2 stringers meet. Even a double depth step would probably be safer
since the user would be (might be?) able to take an extra step just like
they would on a landing. A "not quite double depth step" sounds like a fall
just waiting to happen, especially when carrying things down the stairs.

Missed that. Definite;ly need mto correct that too - so likely easier
to just start over and do it right. I can't figure out how some guys
think they can call themselves "CONTRACTORS" or even "HANDYMEN"