Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Joining stringers for long stairs

On 05/31/2016 8:59 PM, Tony Botchagaloop wrote:

Sounds like we're heading in the right direction, but I only have
5.5" there, is that enough? I'd do it on both sides but he has the
4x4 support posts notched 1/2 way for the stringer to sit on ...

I also looked at the picture -- while it would be "stout-enough" with
some effort such as described that it wouldn't be an imminent hazard I
must agree with the others that it's so cobbled up it's not worth trying
to salvage imo.

Unfortunate, but I think your only real recourse to get anything
satisfactory in the end at this point is to start over; it's just got
too too many "issues" to ever be put to rights.

I presumed it was simply a case where there was a joist joint that
needing some strengthening; this is incredible where nothing fits and
there's no symmetry or anything. Being made "functional" would still
leave an eyesore that won't ever go away.

shanked nails. Hmm, I wonder if they are even made for use with
pressure treated wood? He dropped one thing of nails, how do I know
if they are for pressure treated wood?

Basically need to know the manufacturer's spec...for ACQ it's either
stainless or hot-dipped galvanized that are approved.