Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Joining stringers for long stairs

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 11:26:21 PM UTC-4, Tony Botchagaloop wrote:
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 9:24:27 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/31/2016 6:55 PM, wrote:
I have this botched job a "pro" did for me. Unfortunately there are no building codes here so the only option is to sue in small claims court, and that is not a sure thing either due to the lack of codes here.

The stairway is 18 steps long, outside up to the attic/loft of my garage. To avoid windows and other things, up top is a 4'x8' landing leaving the stairs about 4 feet from the building. Instead of ordering special order stringers long enough, he used 2 sets and he did a number on how they join and are supported in the middle of the run. I've been going through multiple idea's on how to fix it (multiple problems) and I've gotten to the point where I'm thinking of making something out of steel U channel that would fit the 2x12 stringers at the bottom edge, centered at the stringer joints, not sure how far to extend it, an I'd weld upside down U's to fit 4x4 posts to set on and be bolted to. Without you seeing this I suppose this is hard or impossible thing to picture?

Sounds like a terrible way of doing something, but I'm sure it can be
fixed. The method dpb suggested would work. He suggested 48", but I'd
go even longer.

You mention they are supported in the middle of the run. Do you mean
something from the stringer to the ground? I'd do that.

You can post a photo at various web sites and post a link. tinypic.com
is one.

Yes there are 3 4x4's from the joint in the stringer to the ground (small concrete pads) The pic to prevent sway was my fist concern so I tore it off and added 2 2x4's to make an X. Then I was looking at the bad cuts and didn't even realize at first how the upper stringer support basically gave it about 1" of support if the wood were to split. I put temporary braces under that because I had to get up to the loft with some heavy stuff. I couldn't believe he left the middle stringer like that when he left for the day. The next morning by the time I got out there he had all the treads on. I showed it to him and he looked at the kid helping him and said "tear off all those steps". I already saw the mess he made pulling out one step and didn't want him to do more harm than good, so I told him to take a sawzall between the stringer and the treads and cut the nails, then move it over, and it's still crooked!

I had paid for the materials since I had a special 10% off offer from Lowes and at first I paid him for the labor. After realizing just how poor things were I canceled the check, then called him and told him. He said he would fix it all and sent 3 guys here this morning but he didn't show. I told them to start with making the middle step the same as the rest. They said no, they would fix other stuff I didn't even show here. One more time I told them to fix the middle step, they said no so I told them to leave.

....and thus the reason most places have building codes.

What is that second image? It sure isn't your stairs.

Aside from all the other issues, that middle step is a major tripping hazard. It's not wide enough to
be considered a landing, so it's really nothing more than a step that's wider than the others. As
my grandfather the mason used to say regarding steps: "The feet remember".

Take tons of pictures, get a a couple of written estimates from other contractors, hopefully saying
that is must be taken down and rebuilt, and go to small claims court.