Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default Recommendations?

On 31/05/2016 7:18 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:41:58 -0600, graham wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a bench top lathe for small stuff. I already have
a General 160 (made in Quebec) for the larger projects.
Has anyone here any recommendations?
Graham

Since you're familiar with the General brand, might I suggest the
25-200VS "maxi-lathe". I've had one for several years now and love the
pivoting head, the electronic variable speed, and the large capacity
outboard capability.

Like several people, I had the first variable speed control go bad, but
it was replaced promptly and I haven't had any trouble since. If that
bothers you, I'd suggest looking for another mini with at least the
pivoting head feature. Really makes it easier on your back to turn the
head out 30-40 degrees.

That looks ideal but does the speed control box project in front of the
headstock?
Graham