Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Wiring electric baseboard

FromTheRafters wrote in news:nil1vt$d8d$1
@news.albasani.net:

Doug Miller explained :
FromTheRafters wrote in news:niklfm$kju$1
@news.albasani.net:

Doug Miller explained :
FromTheRafters wrote in news:nii8ff$38m$1
@news.albasani.net:

trader_4 wrote:
Say what now? Distance Traveled= Rate x Time. If the rate is zero,
then the distance traveled is zero. Again, clearly zero has meaning.

Not if you use the D=RT formula, it is 'undefined' when either R or T
is zero (I did *not* say approaching zero).

Complete nonsense. If R = 0, then D = 0T = zero. If T = 0, then D = 0R =
zero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_by_zero

There's no division in D= RT. That's multiplication.

If the rate is zero by stipulating that it is so, and the distance is
zero by multiplication using Ohm's Law, the time must be infinite since
we aren't moving.

That is incorrect. In the equation D = RT, if D and R are both zero, T can --
and must -- be any finite number (e.g. if T = 5 and R = 0, then D = RT = 0 *
5 = 0). The one thing T *cannot* be is infinite: zero times "infinity" is
what we call in mathematics an "indeterminate form" that cannot be evaluated
algebraically.

Right, so we're left with an answer of undefined.

No, we're not, because T is *not* infinite. T can be *any* *finite* value. The one thing it
*cannot* be is infinite precisely because 0 * infinite is undefined -- but the left side of this
equation, D, is NOT undefined. It is very much defined, and it is EQUAL TO ZERO.

So, if the T is as you state 'any finite number' there must be a rate
of D/T and if that finite number T is zero we're back at division by
zero

NO WE ARE NOT! Where in the equation D = RT do you see any division anywhere? This
is *multiplication*. And as I have already noted, transforming D = RT into D / T = R is valid
only for NON-ZERO values of T.

and if that finite number T is not zero we're back at some
positive or negative rate which is a contradiction of your original
premise of R being zero.

Complete nonsense. D = RT. D = 0, R = 0, substitute any finite value for T and the equation
is true.

Since time is T=D/R the time is undefined by division
by zero

Correct, but not relevant to the equation D = RT which is *not* the same
thing:

-- D = RT is defined for all real values of all three variables
-- T = D / R is defined for all real values of D and T, and non-zero values
of R

Okay, you got me there. I was treating D=RT as a formula not just as an
equation. My mistake. E=MC^2 so if C=0 E=0 and M doesn't matter. Got it
now, sorry for wasting your time.

No, you still don't have it. C isn't a variable in that equation. C is a constant. If M = 0, then E =
0 and C doesn't matter.

The only thing you got right here is that you're certainly wasting a lot of time.