Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Car CD player - anything I can clean besides the lens?

"curls" wrote in message
My car's CD player reports Check CD and ejects many CDs. I've managed to
get the radio out of the car, and opened it until I can now see the laser
lens.

I plan to clean with Qtip and isopropyl alcohol 91%.

You can get a lens cleaning disk with a small tuft of brush on it that wipes
the lens as it goes round. There's normally a bottle of cleaning fluid
supplied in the box.

Attacking the lens with a Q-tip is the last resort, the lens mount is very
fragile. normally that is only necessary if you're a heavy smoker and tar
deposits have contaminated the deck.

The Q-tip is pretty much the kill or cure last ditch attempt to save it!