Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
TMack[_2_] TMack[_2_] is offline

Default WIN10EXIT: Don't upgrade if Samsung

On Tue, 31 May 2016 18:01:26 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

On Tue, 31 May 2016 13:58:55 -0000 (UTC)
TMack wrote:

To be fair to MS, the Broadcom hardware that is incompatible was
introduced before 2010. So...we have a wireless chipset that was at
least 6 years old at the time Win 10 was introduced, which turns out to
be incompatible.

Those sounds like the words of a MSFT apologist. MSFT is pushing the
WinX "upgrade" on everything since Windows 7, which launched September
2009, so they /really/ need to be sure they support common hardware from
then if they're going to maintain any credibility (some would say that
horse has already bolted).

I am no great fan of Windows or MS. However, I like to add a bit of balance to discussions. I am not
particularly outraged to find that Win 10 has problems with some old hardware, particularly when that
hardware is a wifi card with a Broadcom chipset. As I said, I have experienced lots of hassle in the past with
Broadcom chipsets under Linux too.

FWIW. it's arguable how "common" the problem wifi cards are. They aren't all that common. However,
Samsung appear to have used quite a lot of them - probably because they were cheap. Unfortunately they
were/are both cheap and nasty. They didn't work well with 8.1 and they seem to have fundamental problems
with Win 10. Samsung, Broadcom and MS will have to try to sort it out because they all bear some
responsibility. However, I doubt that they will be in a rush to do so because it's old hardware and they are
more interested in contemporary stuff.

I have great sympathy with anyone caught out by the MS push to get Win 10 on everything. However, I
suspect that MS would rather bear the cost of a few ****ed-off punters for the sake of further rolling out their
30GB spyware/keylogger. Possibly those Samsung owners should be grateful that it doesn't run on their PCs.
As for me, I have killed Cortana permanently, switched off all the data logging options and installed Classic
Shell. I am quite happy with the remaining parts of Win 10.

--
Tony
'09 FJR1300, '07 Street Triple OMF#24