Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Car CD player - anything I can clean besides the lens?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 22:20:43 -0700 (PDT), curls
wrote:

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 4:19:42 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2016 08:53:43 -0700 (PDT), curls
wrote:

My car's CD player reports Check CD and ejects many CDs.

Does the CD player have a maker and model number?
Your photos kinda look like the player is part of the vehicle console
and not a seperate unit. Perhaps the vehicle maker and model might
help.

This might help:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

With CD lasers, I like to use my digital camera to "see" the IR output
of the laser. To determine if it's lacking in brightness, compare it
with what the digital camera can see from another CD player.

Most common problem I've seen on vehicle CD players is "smoke" on the
lenses and mirrors.

It's 2012 Mazda 3 iGT Hatch.

My point is that the drive is NOT easily replaced. No clue on parts
but unless the CD drive mechanism can be identified, finding
replacement parts is going to be difficult.

Read the repair faq section on "CD players in vehicles".

I know this car was a smoker's before me for 4 years.

Bingo. 90% rubbing alcohol works well to remove the tar.

So if most of the time problems have been smoke on the lens, do you
mean actual smokers? It'd been hopeful for me, if that's the case.

Yes, but there are plenty of other sources of oil, grease, tar, soot,
and such. Just look at the windows. Do they remain perfectly clear
when you're driving? Of course not. Well, some of that also gets
into the CD player and makes the optics looks much like your
windshield.

Can you see in the photos, where the glass mirror would be?

I have no idea. The photos are too small and cover too large an area.
Look for something like this:
http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Cm2ZKXXXXXXWXFXXq6xXFXXXJ/Original-Replace-For-font-b-Pioneer-b-font-DEH-P7400MP-font-b-CD-b-font-font.jpg
The mirrors are behind the lens.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/audio/cdplay.html

Taking a photo sounds like a good idea. It'd be very hard to
take a photo since it has to be in the box, where the beam isn't
directly visible. Maybe the more cleaning that I've done
will do the trick.

I don't take a photo. All I do is check if there's anything coming
out of the laser or if it looks wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df70YVAg-iI
Fast forward to 2:10 for what it looks like. Not all digital cameras
can see 780nm light. (DVD are 650nm and BluRay are 405nm).

There are also photo diodes on a stick that can be used to measure the
laser output. For some odd reason, I can't find the magic buzzwords
and URL. Anyone?

Oh crap. Power outage... save, post, and run...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D