Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Wiring electric baseboard

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 7:42:03 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:
trader_4 brought next idea :
On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 4:40:19 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

Say what now? Distance Traveled= Rate x Time. If the rate is zero,
then the distance traveled is zero. Again, clearly zero has meaning.

Not if you use the D=RT formula, it is 'undefined' when either R or T
is zero (I did *not* say approaching zero).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_by_zero

Idiot.

There is no division in Distance Traveled = rate x time.
If either the rate or the time is zero, the distance is zero.
And obviously it has meaning, it means the train did not move.

D=RT is a relationship and can be written as T=D/R or R=D/T and it is
still the same relationship.

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.distance.html

See this:

V = IR. There is no division by zero. If I or R is zero, V is zero.
And that zero has meaning.

Okay, so if I is zero, what is R? Can you show that the relationship
still holds?

R is the finite resistance of the wire, in this case, .16 ohms as
has been stated many times now. Idiot.

Idiot. If a fuse blows, the voltage across it after it blows is the full
open circuit voltage. Try using a meter and see.

Well duh! The thing is that it is *not* "voltage drop" because an open
fuse does not dissipate energy.

"Ohm's law states that the *current through a conductor* . . ."

Where's the current through an open fuse, brainiac?

It's zero of course.

The problem is you stated:

"You can have
voltage drop across a fuse just before it blows, but the voltage there
after it blows is not 'voltage drop' because there is no current."

If a fuse blows, the voltage across it after it blows is the full
open circuit voltage. Try using a meter and see. It's one of the
ways to find a blown fuse.

"Voltage drop describes how the supplied energy of a voltage source is
reduced *as electric current moves through the passive elements* . . ."

Show me how Ohm's law holds when the current is zero, brainiac.

We all have shown you, sady you don't understand basic algebra.

V = IR. When I =0, V = 0.

Like Clare said, you're really way in over your head here.

You brought up distance traveled = rate x time, claimed that doesn't work
with a rate or time of zero either. It obviously does, if the rate is
zero, the equation gives a distance traveled of zero. That zero has
meaning, it means the distance traveled is zero. Capiche?