Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB Dangers

On Monday, 30 May 2016 08:50:07 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
harry wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
polygonum wrote

How dangerous would it be to use a phone or tablet in the
bath whilst it is connected to a mains-powered USB charger?

Not dangerous at all if the charger is designed properly so that no
matter what fails you can ever get any mains voltage on the USB.

Of course even a well designed charger doesn't meet that naive
expectation.

It is possible to do it with a properly designed transformer.
But these seem to be none existent these days.
Expense I suppose.

Harry isn't en electronic engineer.

You dont have a ****ing clue about how to design a USB
charger so that whatever fails it is never a life threatening
problem, even if it is used in a wet area like a bathroom.

Fortunately operations like Apple dont actually
employ fools like you to design their USB chargers.

You may be a waste of space but at least you amuse once a month or 2. I've long since lost count of how many PSUs I've designed.

NT