View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Car CD player - anything I can clean besides the lens?

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 4:19:42 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2016 08:53:43 -0700 (PDT), curls
wrote:

My car's CD player reports Check CD and ejects many CDs.

Does the CD player have a maker and model number?
Your photos kinda look like the player is part of the vehicle console
and not a seperate unit. Perhaps the vehicle maker and model might
help.

This might help:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

With CD lasers, I like to use my digital camera to "see" the IR output
of the laser. To determine if it's lacking in brightness, compare it
with what the digital camera can see from another CD player.

Most common problem I've seen on vehicle CD players is "smoke" on the
lenses and mirrors.

Thanks Jeff!

I thought I'd included the make and model originally. Must have been in the email to Sam. It's 2012 Mazda 3 iGT Hatch.

I don't know what particular unit it's considered to be. It is part of the radio console. The photos were after I got it out of the console and on it's own, and took a holder off so it's possible to get into the lens. Sure is hard to get good photos of the insides...

I know this car was a smoker's before me for 4 years. It didn't smell when I bought it, but there's been evidence since. So if most of the time problems have been smoke on the lens, do you mean actual smokers? It'd been hopeful for me, if that's the case.

Can you see in the photos, where the glass mirror would be? I know it looks like glass not a mirror, but I can't spot any place that could be it. Is it usually right near the lens? I can't easily take off that metal piece that's over the where the lens is, so it's hard to get under or into the lens area beyond the lens itself.

Taking a photo sounds like a good idea. It'd be very hard to take a photo since it has to be in the box, where the beam isn't directly visible. Maybe the more cleaning that I've done will do the trick.

Thanks for your help!