Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Wiring electric baseboard

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 5:59:52 PM UTC-4, Sam E wrote:
On 05/30/2016 03:46 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Sam E expressed precisely :
On 05/30/2016 06:13 AM, Al Gebra wrote:

[snip]

Voltage drop is represented by the formula E=I*R
Seems to me if the current flow is zero, then the voltage would be zero
as well.

IIRC, it's I squared R. Of course, it's still no voltage drop with no
current. Is it possible there's a confused poster here, who has R and
thinks it's E.

Power is E*I and since E=I*R power also equals I*I*R or I squared R.

Sorry for the error. I never claimed to be perfect. Although, it'd be
hard to make a mistake like that one (voltage drop with no current).

BTW, as to formulae I always liked P=IE.

You are correct that there is *no* 'voltage drop' with no current, which
is not the same as saying that the 'voltage drop' is zero.

While 'no' and 'zero' are different ideas, either should be correct here.

Voltage drop = I*R = 0v*R = 0v.

Bingo!
Sam, maybe you can explain it to math challenged Rafters. He says
that you can't do what you just did with that simplest of equations
because with a current of zero, you divided by zero. I don't see
any division there, neither do you. Go figure.