Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Wiring electric baseboard

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 4:40:19 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

Say what now? Distance Traveled= Rate x Time. If the rate is zero,
then the distance traveled is zero. Again, clearly zero has meaning.

Not if you use the D=RT formula, it is 'undefined' when either R or T
is zero (I did *not* say approaching zero).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_by_zero

Idiot.

There is no division in Distance Traveled = rate x time.
If either the rate or the time is zero, the distance is zero.
And obviously it has meaning, it means the train did not move.

Consider this:

What is the amperage (A) when you put zero ohms (R) resistance across
an ideal 12 volt (V) source?

Answer:

Undefined! Because A=V/R and you can't divide by zero.

Poor attempt at diversion.
But we're not dividing by zero in the case of Ohm's Law, nor in
your example of motion above. And from a math, physics and engineering
perspective what happens in your new example is that as the resistance
approaches zero, the current approaches infinity. We deal with infinity and
things approaching limits in engineering and math. It's not a mystery. But
none of this has anything to do with what we are doing with Ohm's Law,
because the voltage drop does not involve dividing by zero.

That is true, unless you state that I or R is zero. See above and
below.

See this:

V = IR. There is no division by zero. If I or R is zero, V is zero.
And that zero has meaning.

This is simple math, why are you struggling with it?

Look, now you're going to start taking cheap shots? Tthe only one
here who was obviously struggling is Diesel. He
doesn't understand Ohm's Law. But now we can add you to the list because
you can't understand that in the simple case of distance = rate * time,
a zero rate gives an answer of ZERO distance traveled and that answer
of zero definitely has meaning, just like zero voltage drop from Ohm's Law
has meaning.

Simple math, you are *not* allowed to divide by zero - it is
*undefined*. Infinity is okay to work with because things in that
formula can be infinitely small or infinitely large.

We're not dividing by zero. YOU just keep pretending we are.

Gfre, WTF has happened to education in America? We now have two idiots here
trying to explain basic math and electricity to us and neither knows
WTF they are talking about.

E=IR

If either current or resistance is zero, Voltage is zero and contrary to your
BS, it has meaning.

I=E/R

Is there zero resistance in that heater circuit wire?

R=E/I

Anyone here doing that division, with a current of zero, to try to calculate
resistance? No.

If you state that either I or R is zero (as is the case with open
circuit, which is not really a circuit, or zero resistance attached to
an ideal source) the formula doesn't work.

V = IR If either I or R is zero, V is zero. Did you even take algebra?

There was mention of "zero"
current

That right, because with no load, you have zero current. Put zero in for
I above, put a finite value for R and you have zero voltage.

and in the 'superconductor' comment was about zero resistance.

That was brought up by the guy who doesn't even understand Ohm's Law.
No point in going there, it has nothing to do with the current discussion.

My analogy with the trains was a bit of fun, but still illustrates that
dividing by zero yields the result of 'undefined' *not* 'zero'.

I does nothing of the sort. All it demonstrates is that:

Distance Traveled = Rate x Time.

Rate of zero, Distance Traveled is zero. It has meaning the train
didn't move. Idiot.

I, of course, agree about 'approaching' these limits as being worthy of
consideration. However, that was *not* what I was replying to.

Also, there is no such thing as 'voltage drop' when there is no current
because 'voltage drop' is defined by there being current. You can have
voltage drop across a fuse just before it blows, but the voltage there
after it blows is not 'voltage drop' because there is no current.

Idiot. If a fuse blows, the voltage across it after it blows is the full
open circuit voltage. Try using a meter and see.