Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Subarrier FM radio

Interesting, in fact everybody, interesting.

Next we need a thread on what all they crammed into the NTSC TV signal. Like PRO audio which was another SAP essentially, the VITS or VIR, closed captioning, ghost cancelling reference and who knows what else.

Man's innate lust to cram as much as possible into any given bandwidth.

With TV, they wasted it. They went digital because NTSC takes too much bandwidth and has limited resolution. The problem is they cannot come up with any decent programming anymore.

In other words, the resolution doesn't matter if there's nothing to watch. I don't need 2,000 line resolution to watch Gunsmoke. Just like I don't need 24 bit/96 KHz sampling to listen to music from the 1960s.