Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Wiring electric baseboard

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 2:14:05 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
hah
Mon, 30 May 2016 05:25:23 GMT in
alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/29/2016 09:23 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

1500/232.1=6.5 amps *rounded up*
1500/235=6.39 amps *rounded up*

And that's due entirely to distance with no loads present on the
line yet.

[snip]

Where can I get one of these magic heaters, that uses 1500 watts
when it isn't connected?

Hmm? Oh.. ROFL, I see. That's what happens when you don't pay
attention to context and choose to selectively quote.

He's paying attention and his sarcasm is on point.

Those are load calculations based on a 1500watt element running at
two different voltages. It shows the amount of amps required to get
1500watts at those voltages.

Except of course heating elements look like resistors and they don't
magically readjust to pull more amps with a lower voltage to keep
the watts constant. At 240V, a 3500W heating element pulls 14.6A.
Following your logic, if we instead put 24V on it, it will pull 146 A
and continue to put out 3500W. That makes sense to you?

The different voltages are directly related to length and diameter of
wire and have nothing to do with the load from the heater at this
point.

Give us the formula for that voltage drop in the wire. The rest of us
know it's V = I*RW, where I is the current, RW the resistance of the wire.
Ergo, I = 0, V = 0. Capiche? That means that with no load, the full
240V is present at both ends of the long wire. Now put even a tiny load
on and now you have voltage drop. The larger the load, the larger the
voltage drop in the wires, because the current is higher.

Thanks to the wire and the wire alone, some volts have already been
lost (as in they'll never reach the heater) in transit, due again, to
the wires own resistance and length. In this case, the length is the
same; 100ft. But, the wire size or gauge is not. 12ga is on the top,
10ga is on the bottom; for comparison.

Again obvious you don't understand the basics. Volts are not "lost"
If they are and you're so smart, give us the formula for the "lost"
volts with no current flowing.

Might I suggest a simple english comprehension class or two? Muggles
suffers from a similar problem. So, you're in very good company.

Might I suggest a course in electricity 101? Understand how to apply]
Ohm's Law to a simple circuit? Kirchoff's Laws?