Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default USB Dangers

On 30/05/2016 10:00, F Murtz wrote:
polygonum wrote:
How dangerous would it be to use a phone or tablet in the bath whilst it
is connected to a mains-powered USB charger?

Obviously it could be dangerous to the device itself if you drop it into
the water!

Obviously a 5 volt low current supply isn't usually life threatening.

Obviously we have rules about sockets in bathrooms. But a long USB cable
to a socket in another room seems a likely way round that.

But if something is wrong somewhere, such as a mis-wired USB charger,
could there be any appreciable danger?

Is there in future likely to be a bathroom-safe USB socket next to the
shaver and toothbrush socket?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...trying-7417805

http://metro.co.uk/2003/10/29/mobile...-death-380929/

Both of those involve the charger itself - clearly something not to be
done. Relevant but what was in my mind was more the danger even if the
USB lead were maximum length and the charger and socket were in another
room. Or the charger were specially designed for bathroom use (like a
shaver/toothbrush socket) - that is, assuming it is possible to design
one that is safe.

--
Rod