Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default USB Dangers

Brian Gaff wrote

Don't know about that, I've always thought that inductive chargers are
pretty inefficient, even if driven at high frequencies.

Doesn’t matter when charging a phone or a tablet.

I suppose you could have a bit battery and a cable to your device which
would be safer than a mains connection of any kind.

Perfectly possible to design the charger properly so that
it is always completely safe even when something has failed.

polygonum wrote
wrote
There is a very thin barrier between mains and usb output. If it
breaks down you're fried. A great number of noncompliant chargers
exist that have very inadequate insulation. I would not do it.

I assure you it is not my intention to do it! I expect many people do,
though, and it made me wonder. If I did want to, I'd probably think to
use my battery pack USB charger or, preferably, charge before bath, but I
don't want to drown my phone or tablets.

I was also imagining the next generation of shavers and toothbrushes
possibly having USB charging as standard? Or, wireless charging but with
the charging plate being fed by USB.