Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default USB Dangers

I would ask you this, Have you ever looked inside of a usb charger. Most
have no fuse and the switch mode supply is driven directly from the mains
via a semiconductor driving the primary of a transformer a very tiny
transformer, at a high frequency, the other side is connected to a very
simple rectifier and voltage stabilising chip.
You are in effect relying on a cheaply made tiny transformer to isolate
you from the full mains voltage.
I'd no chance it knowing what I know about these things. I have had more
than one fail one very spactacularly and trash the device on it. Crap.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"polygonum" wrote in message
How dangerous would it be to use a phone or tablet in the bath whilst it
is connected to a mains-powered USB charger?

Obviously it could be dangerous to the device itself if you drop it into
the water!

Obviously a 5 volt low current supply isn't usually life threatening.

Obviously we have rules about sockets in bathrooms. But a long USB cable
to a socket in another room seems a likely way round that.

But if something is wrong somewhere, such as a mis-wired USB charger,
could there be any appreciable danger?

Is there in future likely to be a bathroom-safe USB socket next to the
shaver and toothbrush socket?

--
Rod