Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default USB Dangers

Halmyre Wrote in message:
On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 10:38:57 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
polygonum wrote:

How dangerous would it be to use a phone or tablet in the bath whilst it
is connected to a mains-powered USB charger?

If you look at various USB charger and SMPSU teardowns on youtube, they
often have a sizeable fraction of mains voltage (at a minute current) on
the 5V outputs, the sort of "tingle" you can feel with an unearthed
laptop when it contacts bare skin could feel a lot worse with wet skin
in the bath, the leakage current won't directly hurt you, but if it
makes you jump you could lose your footing or bash your head on the
tiles etc

Is there in future likely to be a bathroom-safe USB socket next to the
shaver and toothbrush socket?

Just charge the device up in advance of using it in the bathroom?

Or, heaven forbid, do without it for half an hour or so? Fair enough if you're reading a book on your Kindle, but not if it's sheer terror at the thought of being 'off the grid' for any length of time.

I sometimes watch something on my tablet in the bath. I have a
bath to relax really as much as getting clean. We have one of
those across the bath rack things and I rest it on
there
Chris French