Posted to sci.electronics.repair
curls[_2_] curls[_2_] is offline

Default Car CD player - anything I can clean besides the lens?

My car's CD player reports Check CD and ejects many CDs. I've managed to get the radio out of the car, and opened it until I can now see the laser lens.

I plan to clean with Qtip and isopropyl alcohol 91%.

Is there anything else I can clean? Or lube with white lithium? Photos:
http://postimg.org/gallery/13v02pwm6/
I can't spot a glass surface (mirror). Is the white rotating disk in the middle good to clean? Can the lens unit be rotated on the spindle so I can wipe the part close to the center (in case there's dirt in there - although it looks clean)?

----
Additional, here's details on what's happening that's in error. Does it indicate anything?

There are disks that consistently read without trouble. The same disk will work every time. It's been only 4 out of about 20, but it's the same 4 CDs every time that get initially picked up just fine. The rest of the CDs have trouble and will eject with Check CD repeatedly. Then on one of the re-inserts, they'll read. The CDs are books on CD from the library. I've washed most of them, and they look good (not scratched or dirty).

Once read, if I turn off the radio, when I restart it goes back to Check CD.. However they don't physically eject and will keep spinning around reporting a Check CD, until finally at some time they'll start reading.

All CDs once read, will continue fine until the end of the CD or until I turn the radio off. (Pausing works without trouble and the CD starts right up.)

Twice maybe three times in 20 or so hours of playing there's been a skip later in a CD. However it's always repeatedable at exactly the same spot, and there's at least once, been dirt on the CD to match (I didn't look the other times).

Thanks!!