Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default USB Dangers

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Obviously a 5 volt low current supply isn't usually life threatening.

Never is in fact.

It could be quite unpleasant if the water has bath salts
added to improve conductivity and you have wet hands.

Nope, even if its salt water.

USB chargers are not low current.

The current is determined by the 5V and the resistance.
What the USB can deliver when charging something is irrelevant.

However, it is difficult to think of a scenario
where the 5V would be applied across your body.

Yes, its not going to happen with someone in a bath.
And even if it does, the current isnt going to be life threatening,
and is DC anyway, which again isnt going to be life threatening.

I once had an unpleasant shock from a 9V battery when standing
in sea water. I was changing the batteries in a hydrophone
preamplifier at the time.

Sure, and some dont like putting one in their mouth/licking
the terminals, but its not life threatening.