Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Manual metal scoring project

wrote in message
I'm about to begin a simple project for cutting thin stock into strips.

I need to machine the following:

A) Disks that will be the diameter of slitting saws but thicker and
without teeth but instead have relatively sharp edges for scoring.

B) Spacers about half the size of the above mentioned disks. (I'll grind
them to the necessary thickness).

C) An "Arbor", actually a one foot rod with a long flat that the above
disks, separated by the spacers, will fit on.

D) A three part table that will be comprised of two ends sitting at
opposite ends and on top of the bed.(There will be an "cover" to hold the
stock down to the bed).

E) Racks and gears for the bed ends and rod respectively.

The goal of this contraption is to allow me to score the metal stock so I
can break off the strips. (It would be like using a rolling pin).\

I'm finishing up the exact dimensions and I'd appreciate some advice on
the specific metals I should use for the parts.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Are you still trying to cut phosphor bronze contact springs?

It is hard to tell, but from your description, it sounds like you want to
impress score lines rather than cut them.
If this is the case, then you will run afoul of what I like to call the
"conservation of volume."
When you impress a line into metal, the metal is displaced to the sides.
Your center strip will run true but the strips on either side will be wonky
as they move outward because of this displacement.

Paul K. Dickman