Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Hawaii could be first to put gun owners in federal database

"trader_4" wrote in message news:22897e61-948d-

stuff snipped

I saw a web page a while back. Turns out that
pretty much all the school shooters were on
psych medicines, prescribed. So, it's very
possible the gun nuts are right (double entendre)
here.

I doubt it's even a majority, but I'd be happy to see
your source for that.

I'd bet that just as many, if not more school shooters also played a lot of
first person shooter video games. About the only thing you can say about
mass shootings with certainty is that they are a modern problem that's been
escalating.

If true that if they were all on psych meds it may mean that they already
had very
visible prior mental/emotional difficulties that demanded some kind of
treatment.

Other item of note, the mass killings have all
been in gun free zones. So, the victims had no
way to shoot back. The loony left's answer?
make more gun free zones. Hello!

I challenged this the other day. Was the church that Dylan Roof
shot up a gun-free zone? I never saw anything where they even had
a gun policy. This also ignores that most of these shootings, the
shooter had a strong association to the place and people where the
shooting occurred. Sandy Hook, Ft. Hood, DC Navy Yard, San Bernardino,
Columbine, etc. The shooter didn't pick from a list of gun free places,
they went to their workplace, school they were associated with, etc.

Excellent point. IMHO, the GFZ designation means little or nothing. It's
like real estate. Location, location, location. Shooters usually have an
axe to grind that determines their choice of targets. As far as I know very
few (if any) active shootings were stopped in mid-shooting by "good guys
with guns."

I do know for a fact that two very notorious shooters (actually more) were
stopped in mid-rampage as they were changing magazines. (LIRR and Gabriel
Gifford.) That alone tells me that limiting magazine capacity might
actually be effective in keeping the total body count down. I think it's a
little bit ludicrous to believe that the "good guy with a gun" myth
is anything more than that. Wishful thinking.

Many were intent on dying themselves or clearly didn't care, so it's
hard to buy that them thinking someone *might* be a concealed carry
person would have stopped them.

Many police and military emergency response teams train and train for such
eventualities and the "shootout" mode is usually the last resort,
particularly in hostage situations. When Ford was targeted the Secret
Service agent *perhaps* could have drawn his weapon and shot Sara Jane Moore
(sp?) but he was trained to reach for the weapon and insert his thumb
between the hammer and the firing pin. I've seen cops injure each other
because they ended up in each other's line of fire. I doubt untrained casual
handgun carriers have the innate sense to worry about such potential
collateral damage.

--
Bobby G.