Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Manual metal scoring project

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 5:59:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm about to begin a simple project for cutting thin stock into strips.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

It is always helpful if you explain what you are trying to accomplish. You say thin stock, but how about what the stock is and how thick is it. If it is 1/16 to 1/8 aluminum, I would use a table saw. If copper I might still use a table saw, but with some thin plywood under the stock.

And how many strips do you want or need?

I am not sure how well it would work on wide stock to many thin strips. The disks are going to try to make the sheet wider. Not much of a problem for 4 or 5 strips, but 20 might be a problem if the strips need to be straight..

You might consider scoring on both sides of the stock, but only half as deep.. You might also consider having the spacing of the scoring disk twice is wide as you want. You would then run the stock thru once, and then flip the material over and score so you have it scored to the width you want. It would take less effort than trying to do all the scoring with one pass.

Dan