Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_10_] Carl Ijames[_10_] is offline

Default Manual metal scoring project

wrote in message

I'm about to begin a simple project for cutting thin stock into strips.

I need to machine the following:

A) Disks that will be the diameter of slitting saws but thicker and without
teeth but instead have relatively sharp edges for scoring.

B) Spacers about half the size of the above mentioned disks. (I'll grind
them to the necessary thickness).

C) An "Arbor", actually a one foot rod with a long flat that the above
disks, separated by the spacers, will fit on.

D) A three part table that will be comprised of two ends sitting at opposite
ends and on top of the bed.(There will be an "cover" to hold the stock down
to the bed).

E) Racks and gears for the bed ends and rod respectively.

The goal of this contraption is to allow me to score the metal stock so I
can break off the strips. (It would be like using a rolling pin).\

I'm finishing up the exact dimensions and I'd appreciate some advice on the
specific metals I should use for the parts.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
================================================== ======================================

If you want to make everything from scratch, ok, but I think that the
cutting wheels are going to be the heart of your process so I would go
shopping for pipe cutters and find one with a cutting wheel the right size
for your mechanism, then buy replacement wheels. That way someone else has
already optimized the material and shape for you. Scoring and breaking is
going to leave you with rough edges and probably slightly bent parts, so I
think you should cut all the way through if possible.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames