Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default polarity

On Fri, 27 May 2016 15:00:18 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2016 11:13:58 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 2:06:51 PM UTC-4, Retired wrote:
On 5/27/16 1:47 PM, Frank Thompson wrote:

What will happen if
wires are hooked up backwards to battery (reverse polarity) on small !6 HP BRIGGS_STRATTON engine. Will it just not start or will something more dangerous happen? If it does turn, fire & then falter does that mean as far polarity goes that things are correct & problem is elsewhere?

If the starter turns the engine in the correct direction ( same as if
using rope starter). then polarity is OK. (If wrong, it would turn
backward, assuming the starter drive would even catch).

And to answer the rest of the question, hooking it up backwards could
probably damage the charging circuit or any other electronics, depending
off course on the actual design.

That is usually the case if it has an alternator style charging
system, that is usually just a couple extra coils in the stator, under
the flywheel. It blows the diodes and may burn out the stator itself.
You can usually get by with a $3 bridge block for the diodes but the
stator is a proprietary part.

http://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Single-.../dp/B008DEU18G

I'm against doing it backwards, but it's not always a disaster. In
the 100 times I've jumped my car or others, ONCE I got it backwards
for a second or two and the other car wasn't hurt. Don't rely on
this, but don't assume it's been damage either.