Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic motor question

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 9:51:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 10:43:36 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

As always, all thoughts (especially kind ones) are welcome.

Not solutions, but maaybe a kind thought.

I would post this over in SED. Much more up that alley than RCM.

And I realize that you are just starting to think about the problem,
but do you have any idea of what are the requirements? How
repeatable does it need to be. And how accurate? Obviously it
has been used as is, but what is desired.

If you want it really precise, then you will need a way to close the
loop and have feedback from the position. But just getting close
may be all that is needed.

My own thought would be to add a valve and line. The valve would
open when the pump is commanded to stop moving and would connect the
pressure side to the return side. So even if the motor kept running
, there would be no pressure to the hydraulic pump. May be a
lousy idea as it would not lock the position.

Dan

I'm feeling like taking your approach one step further and connecting
the two lines from the motor to each other should get the thing to
stop on a dime. But see my response to Tim for more detail.
=======

Maybe you could add a normally-closed solenoid valve tripped in
advance, in series with an easily accessible throttling valve, to
bypass enough of the flow around the hydraulic motor to slow it down
before it's stopped.

You could tie it into other solutions, like releasing the valve to
help stop the motor, then opening it to free the motor when the
locating pin actuates.

If it doesn't work you can just close the valve and leave it there.

--jsw