Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] jamesjaddah1755@gmail.com is offline

Default Manual metal scoring project

I'm about to begin a simple project for cutting thin stock into strips.

I need to machine the following:

A) Disks that will be the diameter of slitting saws but thicker and without teeth but instead have relatively sharp edges for scoring.

B) Spacers about half the size of the above mentioned disks. (I'll grind them to the necessary thickness).

C) An "Arbor", actually a one foot rod with a long flat that the above disks, separated by the spacers, will fit on.

D) A three part table that will be comprised of two ends sitting at opposite ends and on top of the bed.(There will be an "cover" to hold the stock down to the bed).

E) Racks and gears for the bed ends and rod respectively.

The goal of this contraption is to allow me to score the metal stock so I can break off the strips. (It would be like using a rolling pin).\

I'm finishing up the exact dimensions and I'd appreciate some advice on the specific metals I should use for the parts.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.