Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Hydraulic motor question

rangerssuck wrote:

The electrician, who really knows his stuff, pointed out that the controls
stop the motor, but it's really a hydraulic motor that drives the system,
and maybe it coasts a little when the electric motor is shut off. Also, he
pointed out, that the offset changes during the day, maybe as a result of
the fluid heating up. So, my not-at-all educated in hydraulic motors mind
started thinking, what if, instead of shutting of the pump, what if we
installed, right at the motor, the hydraulic equivalent of a DPDT relay
that would disconnect the motor from the pump and put a short across the
motor?

So, they have a single-purpose motor that runs a pump, that runs the
hydraulic motor? Geez, what idiots, of COURSE it will coast with all that
inertia.

Yes, you want a solenoid valve that relieves the pump and blocks the motor.
It may need to have some kind of shock absorber to prevent a hydraulic
hammer from wrecking the hoses. I'd check with a local hydraulic provider
for recommended parts, this is a fairly common job to do. it ought to work
quite well and index the pallets much more accurately.

Jon