Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default log harvesting from lake bottoms

On 5/26/2016 2:33 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2016 12:37:00 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/26/2016 11:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/26/2016 11:25 AM, Leon wrote:

I have a monster cable that originally was sold to me with my
sub-wolfer, and it plugged into the Yamaha receiver/amp.

In our new home the Yamaha sub out is plugged into the wall, on the
opposite side of the room the monster cable is plugged into the wall for
the sub. Moot point at this stage I guess. ;~)

I never bought a Monster cable for audio purposes, only took one
listening session in the studio environment to determine that the
expensive was not justified ... IOW, no bang for the buck.

As I stated in another post, I own a Monster cable "instrument cable",
which I use for my basses ... and often in the studio when a player
being recorded was having problem with hum ... it is right up there with
the best ones I've owned.

Not trying to argue with you here but in most all cases the cable,
Monster or otherwise, are a link between units. Now if you are simply
saying that the Monster instrument cable is better, quality wise, than
what you can find anywhere else, I totally understand and would have to
agree.

My issue with what I used to see was that Monster cables speaker wire
were simply wiring with insulation. It had no ends other than stripped
away insulation. As I recall the cable inside the insulation appeared
to be 1/4" thick. As it exited and was bare wire, but soldered on the
end, it looked like 14 gauge wire. I thought smoke and mirrors. No
doubt it was better than regular home stereo speaker wire but I
seriously doubt any better for the price than lamp cord, which was
probably 8~10 times heavier than speaker wire.

Waaaaaay back when I had 4 relative large home speakers. Each had 12
woofers, mid-range and tweeters and for years I was using regular
speaker wire to power them from a Techniques 85 watt per channel RMS
receiver. That was in the mid 70's to early 90's and it sounded great.
FF to mid 90's and I up graded my receiver to the Yamaha and more watts
RMS to the same wires and speakers. It also sounded great.

BUT then I decided to try out the heaver gauge lamp cord speaker wiring
and WOW that made a heck of a difference. Higher and more crisp highs
for sure.

As far as the bare ended Monster speaker wires go I think you are paying
90% for appearance and maybe 10% improved performance over standard
speaker wire.

As I recall on Monster speaker wires, they also have a higher strand
count than lamp cord, and about the same overall copper diameter than
16 gauge cord.

For me seeing the different colored wire through the clear HD but
flexible insulation was worth it for the speaker wire. The only
problem they haven't found a fix for is to puppy proof the wiring.

On to make the speaker wiring less gaudy.