Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default How to remove toilet seat?

On Thu, 26 May 2016 18:49:26 -0400, Micky wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2016 14:29:52 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 5:11:15 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
I started to take the oak toilet seat off, but it's always hard when
they use the standard plastic nuts to get a hold of them. This time
it's worse because the bolt is rusted, but using my fingers and using
a vice-grip pliers, I couldn't even start it turning.

Any suggestions?

I thought of using a soldering iron to melt through the plastic? ??
Should I use an electronics iron, which might make a nice thin cut, or
should I dig out my tincrafter's iron, used for gutters etc., much
bigger?

Are the fumes poisonous?

Is a socket wrench likely to fit? I'll have to hunt for my deep
sockets.

Do you have a multi-purpose tool?

I don't remember what a muli-purpose tool is, so I probably don't have
one.

Or a Dremel with a cut-off wheel?

Maybe.

Might be perfect for cutting the nut.

Even a handheld hack saw blade might work.

Same suggestions as Retired, so maybe I should think about even the
hackswa blade again, but OTOH I'll bet it's been a long time since
you've seen how crowded it is where the nut is.

Cut from the top side. You may have to cut more, but you'll have a lot better access.